Thursday, January 11, 2007

Don't touch the system on a Friday?

I believe it to be worth a mention of some excellent advice I received today from my team leader, technically very experienced in the up keep, maintenance of business critical applications.

He says: "One should never (if possible) make any major or even minor system changes, enhancements to any business critical applications on a Friday". Why? Simply because if anything goes wrong and invariably it does, you'll spend the whole weekend or part thereof fixing it up. Not worth the risk, I say.

So obviously this begs the question: What should I be doing on a Friday?

Generally, if everything is running smoothly time should be devoted to answering emails, authoring and reading documentation and perhaps even a nice lunch wouldn't go astray. Makes sense really, to enjoy the good times while they last!!

No comments: