Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Le Tour De France 2007




Well this part of my "Dream" has finally been realised. I think I've needed a couple of days for it all to sink in and think about what has just transpired. For me, the Tour De France has lived up to everything I'd hoped for. It was unforgettable!

The day began quite early, and I was out of the hotel fairly quickly as I wasn't exactly sure when they would close the road to the Val D'Isere. While driving up I noticed a serious of sharp hairpin bends on about a 6% gradient. I knew there was a fantastic spot where I could see the riders come up the hill and then view them as they left me. "This is it!" I thought to myself and easily found a carpark another 300m up the hill. Being early, as I was later to find had really payed dividends..

As the day wore on the traffic volumes coming up the Val D'Isere became more and more conjested. Once the road was closed to spectator traffic, the Tour turned into a circus of dazzling advertisement and marketing. Wave after wave of vehicles would throw food and other samples out to the crowd and we all began to have some fun - whatever nationality you were.

As the hellicopter arrived I knew the leaders were fast approaching. The crowd clapped and screamed "Aller"..Aller" as the leading climbers boldly jostled for position. The excitement gave me goose-bumps all over. Being there, and seeing close up the faces of anguish of the riders giving everything to wear the Maillot Jeune was truly amazing.

So by the end of the day Rassmussen the Danish rider proved too strong. So far he has proved himself as a formidiable climber but has he left anything for the Pyranees? To me Valverde looks the business, however we will just have to wait and see.

I've waited a very long time for this and am quite happy with the photos/memories that I have of this day. Follow the link to have a look right here

Or as a slideshow

See ya later and "hello" to all back home.

Cheers,

MK

3 comments:

Mark Jones said...

I am so jealous! Marcus keep the photos coming. Awesome description.

Anonymous said...

Markus, these pics are fabulous it looks unreal and the weather looks perfect. Keep in enjoy it and we will keep being jealous here in cold cold Melbourne!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice one Boofa. I tried to look for you on the box, but it was like picking a face from the crowd at the G.